27 May 2009

Another Thought

I want to introduce you to Arthur Russell. I won't include too many biographical details here. For a brief sketch, read this Sasha Frere-Jones piece, Let's Go Swimming, in the New Yorker (2004).

My first introduction to Arthur Russell was the recently released compilation Love is Overtaking Me (2008), a collection of 21 folk, country, and pop demos. I was initially interested because nearly every best-of-2008 list included the album, and I was intrigued by descriptions of Arthur explaining his roots in experimental, left-field cello recordings.

Audika Records has been reissuing and releasing Arthur's music since 2005 and has made my fascination with his music ultimately fulfilling, and I cannot wait for the next release. In 2008, director Matt Wolf released a documentary entitled Wild Combination: A Portrait of Arthur Russell, which is a wonderful portrait of Arthur's life.

Beloved by many, Arthur Russell's is the best music I have heard in 2009.

No comments: